Eliminating any chances of electrocuting yourself, take the canister out and wash ‘n clean it to finally leave it dry. Do the same, but with much more care, for the filter, brush bar, and hose. Mark the end by wiping and drying.
How to Clean Dyson Vacuum Filter
To purify a Dyson vacuum filter is never a big deal if you follow the following steps:
Gather All Cleaning Materials
To keep the vacuum filter clean for a longer time, you will definitely need
- Air Compressor
- Fresh Water (cold water will go better)
- Flat Headed Screwdriver
- Dish Soap/Vinegar (no toxic chemicals)
- Paper Towel
Unplug Your Vacuum
First of all, if you have a corded vacuum, you need to unplug the vacuum cleaner from a power outlet. Making it disconnected from the live power source will ensure your job safety, minimize the risks of an electric shock. And if you have a lithium-ion battery-powered cleaner, put the battery off from the machine.
Remove & Empty the Dust Canister
Then you need to clean and empty all the clouds of dust from the canister. Dyson V6, a model of Dyson vacuum products bears a red-colored ‘bin release’ button. You have to press that button and free the canister from the main body of the cleaner. In Dyson V11, there is the system of removing the filter by twisting it counterclockwise.
Wash the Canister
If you want to wash without any use of water, try an air compressor. Otherwise, use a flow of cold water and clean. After that, use a cloth for making the canister dry. For this, microfiber is comparatively a better material. A cloth of microfiber can capture all nano dust particles. Do not leave moisture because it helps bacteria and mold to grow.
Clean the Filter
A filter is the most valuable part of an ideal cleaner. It is used here to trap dirt, bacteria, mold and so other nanoparticles. So, it is very necessary to wash the filter and keep it fresh. There are a few steps for washing the filter:
- Remove the filter unit by twisting it counter-clockwise.
- Just put it under the cold water tap. Don’t use any detergent or dishwasher.
- Wash the pleated paper. Hold that under cold water. If the water flowing through it runs clear, your washing is completed.
- Then wash the foam. Squeeze it swiftly to remove all inside clouds of dust.
- Gently shake the whole filter body to expel the excess.
- Dry the filter unit with maximum airflow, and sunlight for at least 24 hours. Make sure that the unit is completely dry. The wet filter does not last long.
- Refit the filter on the body by twisting it clockwise.
Delete Dirt form the Brush Bar
Certain steps for this action are:
- Brush bar cleans the floors or carpets and collects hair, debris, and dust. These products minimize the vacuum’s efficiency. So, here you need a scissor and flat-headed screwdriver.
- Firstly, remove the soleplate and open the screws. In some vacuum models, a coin is enough to unscrew.
- Take out the brush and there is a scope to eliminate large debris and longer hair particles from the brush manually.
- Cut the hairs with scissors.
- Take a microfiber cloth for cleaning the tiny compartments of the brush bar.
Remove Debris from Hose
- The dirty hose must affect the vacuum’s suction power. So, there is a need to clean the hose often. To make it clean, firstly shut it off.
- Visually watch if there are any dust particles and take them out by using hands.
- Don’t use any toxic chemicals. These may cause internal damages. You can use vinegar. It is light and kills germs or bacteria hiding inside.
- Use a bucket of warm water, one cup of vinegar. Take your hose, drown it inside the mixture and wash. Hold the hose in U shape, and make your cleaning easier.
- Dry it and then reconnect to your vacuum. It may take 24 hours.
Make a Final Wiping
Wipe down all the components of the vacuum. For this task, a microfiber cloth is the best choice. Don’t use any metallic materials to wipe. That can make your cleaner fragile. Sanitize the soleplate and wheels. Dry the full vacuum properly for one day before using.
How Often Should You Clean a Dyson Filter?
For the Dyson motor filter, it must be washed after every three months. Use simple cold water. You may get bacteria defending capability by using vinegar. Dry the parts for at least 24 hours before re-installation. This rule goes the same for the Dyson exhaust filter. The pleated filter is not washable and you have to change it after nearly one year.
Are All Dyson Filters Washable?
Most of the Dyson filters are washable. These filters are to use using cold water. Don’t use any detergent, cleaning powder, or washing machine. For excessive washing, the mesh of filter fibers may be damaged. For the HEPA filters, read the user manual to know whether the filter is washable or permanent.
Q: Is its HEPA filter available in Dyson vacuums?
Ans: Most of the Dysons use two filters. One is a pre-motor filter and the other is a post-motor filter. Very few machines use HEPA. New Dyson vacuums like V8 and V10 have HEPA type filters. This is called “true HEPA” filtration.
Q: Can I use a Dyson vacuum without the filter?
Ans: Absolutely not. They trap the microscopic particles, carbon dust. These materials can cause allergy or asthma attacks. To get an ideal vacuum cleaner, it is a must to have a bag, motor, hose, and a strong filter.
Dirty and stinky cleaners are of no use. To make the house cleaning comfortable and to increase the efficiency of the vacuum, there is no substitute for filter cleaning. So, it is a must to keep the filter clean always. There are thousands of vacuums from Dyson company. But the cleaning method of all these is nearly the same.
Leave a Reply